Female Teen Athletes Use Less Diet Drugs
The results of a 2004 study called ATHENA (Athletes Targeting Healthy Exercise and Nutrition Alternatives) suggest that female teens who participate in team sports at school tend to have very healthy eating habits and seem deterred from using diet pills and performance-enhancing drugs. The study included 928 female students from 40 participating sports teams at 18 high schools, with an average age of 15.4 years.36
* Both amphetamines and methamphetamine are included in the stimulant category, but methamphetamine makes up the majority of ED involvement (over 70 percent).
* Of these meth-related ED visits, 25 percent were checked into the hospital for medical treatment, including intensive care. Half of all meth visits ended in the person being discharged that same day. A very small number were released to the police (less than 5 percent).
* In 2004, patients aged 12 to 17 accounted for about 9 percent of all meth-related ED visits. Patients aged 25-29 had the highest number of meth-related ED visits.
* ED visits vary across the major illicit drugs:
• 131 visits per 100,000 population for cocaine
• 73 visits per 100,000 population for marijuana
• 55 visits per 100,000 population for heroin
• 25 visits per 100,000 population for methamphetamine
There are important distinctions in teen meth use based on subgroup variations. Subgroups are defined as gender, rural versus urban (city) areas, a teen's college plans, the different regions of the country, and race/ethnicity. Gender differences have already been noted in the statistics above.
* The 2004 NSDUH reports that teens who live in large, urban areas tended to smoke meth while those living in smaller, rural areas are more likely to inject the drug. This correlates to a higher use of crystal meth (which is most often smoked) in more urban areas than rural areas.35
* The 2005 MTF reports:19, 34
• Students who are not college-bound are considerably more likely to be at risk for using illicit drugs. In 2005, 7.3 percent of 10th graders not planning on going to
Was this article helpful?